Finding your own way is the only way.
Nov. 23, 2021

November 23, 2021

November 23, 2021

My friend’s 89 year old mom is hot.

That’s how this whole thing got started. Not to mention when I looked in the mirror a few months ago and saw Steve Bannon and Don Henley’s love child. I knew right then it was time for a change.

There were other hints too. Like when I would go out with friends and dress a little different they would say, “Look at you! You clean up well.” That’s NOT a compliment. What they are really saying is, “You’re normally a slob and you look like you just don’t care.”

If you’re following along with the blog and the Terry Jaymes Alive podcast you know I made a decision to nip this shit in the bud and it didn’t take long to do so. In this case it may be good to have an ego. I don’t like the idea of aging. I hate knowing that my body is deteriorating. I know death is inevitable, but I’m not done yet. I have a very public profession and I when I post a picture there’s always a couple of people who take time out of their busy day to trash me. So yes. It hurts.

When I saw a photo of my friend’s 89 year old mother I knew I had a role model. She is beautiful. Dare I say sexy? Stylish. Full of life. She is light. I knew I had to talk to her and fast. Cause you never know right? I asked him in a very awkward conversation if I could have her number. I called her that day.

Her voice was electric. She didn’t sound shaky or old. She laughed at all my jokes and I was in love. We talked about her past and the good and bad decisions she’s made. I felt like I’ve known her my entire life. She told me that at 65 she felt like it was all down hill from there. She had lost her husband and that she would soon be joining him. She woke up one morning and realized that “waiting to die is bullshit.” So she simply joined the world again. Not all of the changes she had to make to join society again were easy. 

Here’s a few of her tips.

     * Dump the people around you who have given up. In her case she found that  hanging out with younger people is key for a full life.

     * Laugh. I think I have that part covered.

     * Don’t get caught up in the news. People are now brainwashed and crazy. “Do you really want to spend the rest of your years stressed out over some dumb politician?” It should be noted that she thinks the USA is going backwards and that she hopes she dies before it gets worse. 

     * Travel outside the US. And don’t do the touristy things. Talk to the locals about their favorite place to eat or to see a sunset. “Taking your picture at the Eiffel Tower is for pussies.” Her words not mine.

     * Exercise like you never have before. She acknowledged how hard it is to do and that attempting what was once easy physical activity is now a reality check. She stressed to find new activities that are enjoyable.

      * Eat light and healthy 90% of the time. The other 10% is Scotch.

      * Forgive and get over yourself and your stupid fears. “We all know how it's going to end. There’s nothing to be afraid of.”

What a gift she gave me. I plan on talking to her as much as she’ll have me. If I get anymore tips I’ll pass them on. I’d love to have her on the podcast and I hinted around about the possibilities, but I got that she’s a little too busy looking forward instead of talking about the past.

So, some may say that I’m going through a simple midlife crisis and that’s fine. But it’s much bigger than that. In my eyes I still have time to be the man I’ve always envisioned. 

I would love to have inspirational older people on the podcast. So if you know of any fill out the Guest Request form on my website.

I love you all and have a happy Thanksgiving.